Thursday 19 June 2008

Top Ten Sci Fi Movies

The American Film Institute has named its Top Ten Greatest Films of All Time in various categories.

Pleasingly, science fiction got its own list. And here they are.

10. Back To The Future (1985)

Certainly a worthy entry. Successful in bringing time-travel stories way into the mainstream, and still plays well two decades on.

9. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)

Inspired by the looming threat of communism and still pretty creepy. Philip Kaufman's 1978 remake is arguably better, although last year's remake The Invasion was unquestionably worse.

8. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

No argument here. A quantum leap in science fiction movies, action movies and special effects wizardry. Still looks better than most of the imitators that came after it, including Terminator 3.

7. Alien (1979)

Again, no argument about this one. The perfect blend of horror and science fiction and some of best art design ever seen anywhere.

6. Blade Runner (1982)

Many fans would put this at number one, but I'd argue that it's not really worthy of a spot here at all. Intriguing story and ground-breaking in its time, but it hasn't aged well. Top twenty, maybe.

5. The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

Classic anti-nuclear movie that still resonates today. It'll be interesting to see if the impending remake (starring Keanu, of all people) manages to live up to it. I suspect it won't.

4. A Clockwork Orange (1971)

I love this movie deeply, although I'm not too sure about its classification as science fiction. What the hell. I'll take it.

3. E.T. The Extraterrestrial (1982)

Oh, bugger off.

2. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)

Predictable entry. Two problems. First, it can be argued that this is fantasy, not science fiction. Space is just a little too noisy in this far-away galaxy. Second, Empire is a much better film.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Well, of course. This movie doesn't just show you space. It makes you feel it.


So not a bad list overall. I would have included Forbidden Planet and maybe Things to Come. Some more recent flicks like Twelve Monkeys and Donnie Darko might also be worth considering.

But hey, I'm only a fan. What do I know?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that its time for you to start calling this blog. . . I like being being a scifi obsessed atheist. x

Anonymous said...

I'm still stocked they left off Prince and Me II... that was Sci-Fi was it not?? I mean butterflies.

Rob said...

As actual sci-fi I prefer Terminator 1 to terminator 2. 2 had all the special effects and stuff but in terms of plot and menace and such it had far less impact than the first one.
To me it's a similar difference between Alien and Aliens. The first one is Sci-fi, the second one is action and big guns and cool catchphrases. So the fact that Alien gets in and T2 gets in is interesting.

Not that I don't like T2.

And yeah, I've seen Clockwork Orange listed as Sci-Fi before, and I guess the Sci is more Psy (oooh, clever). The whole brainwashing bit had themese of sci-fi machinery and concepts and such, but more importantly (for sci-fi) themes of what we could become if we explore certain trends in society.

Anonymous said...

Shan, I agree. I mean CGI has to have been involved to make hair look that bad. How do you even make hair do that? Yeech. Which reminds me - we should trash it up and watch showgirls again soon.

Anonymous said...

great list mate. makes me want to post one of my own. i'll let you know when i get around to it. could start a meme...